Closing date: 4th June 2022
We are looking for someone who is based locally in Sheffield.
You’ll have a keen interest in food poverty, health and supporting local people to improve their diets. Bags of Taste is an innovative, award winning, behaviour change intervention with a vision that everyone should be able to afford, buy and cook good food.
We work with vulnerable people in food poverty to change the way they cook, shop and eat, for ever. We specifically focus on low-income, vulnerable participants who experience significant health inequalities, like disability (mental and/or physical), and long-term health conditions.
Area Head Role And Responsibilities
Your job will be to run Bags of Taste courses in Sheffield, working independently, but supported by colleagues at Head Office. You’ll be responsible for all aspects of the delivery of our Mentored Home Cooking Courses to participants in the borough with considerable autonomy to develop ideas that could help us to increase our impact.
- Interview potential course participants
- Organise buying, assembly and delivery of food bags to course participants (or work with local people to do so, if you don’t live locally)
- Monitor and supervise course delivery, following co-ordinator manual guidelines
- Train and supervise volunteer cooking mentors, using resources provided
- Recruit and supervise volunteer food bag couriers
- Identify potential case study candidates for evidence of impact and funders’ reports
- Nurture cooking mentors through continuous training and development as needed
- Be able to work easily with a range of social media platforms
- Develop excellent working relationships with referrers and attend local meetings where necessary
- Actively seek out and develop existing and new referral sources through local charities and community organisations
- Attend relevant networking meetings to meet potential referrers and advertise our courses
- Maintain student monitoring spreadsheets and keep information current, following data protection guidelines
- Update and maintain list of local referrers
- Send out graduation packs to course participants
- Provide reports of course outcomes to Head Office
- You will live locally in Sheffield and know the area well – we require local presence and knowledge
- Someone who is engaged and inspired by Bags of Taste’s mission and values
- Experience of working with vulnerable people and outreach
- Relationship building skills, particularly with referrers and other organisations
- Someone able to work independently, think on their feet and be adaptable
- Good, practical organisational skills
- Good IT skills, particularly with WhatsApp, and basic social media skills
- Previous experience in project management an advantage but not essential
- Previous experience in sales would also be an advantage but not essential
- People management skills
- Volunteer experience – either as a volunteer or managing volunteers
What you can expect
To become part of a dynamic, forward-thinking organisation changing attitudes and approaches to dietary change in the UK. By helping to improve the lives of some of the most vulnerable people in the area, you’ll make a lasting positive impact on your local community.
By working with local networks and developing successful relationships, you’ll be working with a range of public, voluntary, community and private organisations as a trusted partner.
You’ll gain insight into the social determinants of health and how they affect peoples’ ability to improve their diets and understand how to implement a successful, pragmatic behaviour change programme.
Finally, Bags of Taste is supported by a team of dedicated, talented volunteers, who are critical to the success of our work. One of the most rewarding aspects of the role is managing and motivating them to make a difference in their local community.
Funding is secured for the next 8 months and we will be looking to secure funding on an ongoing basis.
The role is part time and typically takes 2 days a week on a self-employed basis. The role is hugely flexible and you’ll be able to manage your own time and plan around existing commitments.
The post holder will ideally be based in Sheffield and local presence and knowledge of the area will be needed.
Payment is per course run; typical payment for the year will be £7,800 plus expenses.
How to Apply
Download Job Pack
You can download the job pack here:
CHANGING DIETS ¦ CHANGING LIVES